Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Conversation With A Five-Year-Old

"Guess where I got this, Grandma."

She holds up a toy bulldog she has taken from a little plastic toy dog carrier.

I'm stymied, but I play along.

"WalMart," I guess.

"No. Guess again."

"Target."

"No. It wasn't that kind of store." She opens and closes the plastic carrier door.

I try a different tack.

"You got him from the SPCA -- the dog pound."

"Grandma," she explains carefully, as if I were a two-year-old, "this is a fake dog."

"OK," I counter. "So you got him from the fake dog pound."

She stops and I can see her processing that thought. She looks up quizzically.

"Do they have fake dog pounds?" she asks in all seriousness.

Kids. Gotta love them.

P.S. Turns out she acquired the dog -- a Georgia bulldog -- when they were on vacation in northern Georgia. "At a store near the cabin."

2 comments:

Dan said...

A GEORGIA BULLDOG??? GATOR BAIT!!! Ok - sorry but I do hope you explained to her that she lives in Gator Country. We can only hope she has a huge heart and just felt really sorry for the poor thing.

Anne said...

Acquired in all innocence, I'm sure. I don't recall seeing any logos identifying it with a particular institution . . . manufacturers are so subtle these days. I will convey your concern.